Global music star, Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun aka WIZKID is 30 today and the Internet cant keep calm!
The Starboy boss has come a long way from his first hit single “Holla At Your Boy” released in 2010. Wizzy has continued to solidify his place in Nigerian history as a living legend and he certainly has the accolades to back the assertion.
As he turns 30 today, we bring you 30 cool facts you need to know about Starboy.
1. Wizkid was born Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun on July 16, 1990, in Surulere, Lagos.
2. Wizkid grew up living with twelve sisters, a father, Alhaji M.O. Balogun, a Muslim mum and a Christian mum, Mrs. Balogun.
3. Wizkid wasn’t always known as Wizkid because when he began singing he used to be called Lil Prinz but changed the name in 2006.
4. The Starboy boss went to Ijebu Ode Grammar School in Lagos State University where he later dropped out. After gaining admission to Lead City University he tried to go back to school but did not finish.
5. His sojourn in the music industry started at the age of 11-years-old when he was part of a group, Glorious Five. By the time he was 15, Wizkid had already met OJB Jezreel who he followed closely and watched other big stars like 2Face, Sound Sultan and Neato C.
6. Wizkid’s very first single is titled ‘Mami water.’ We don’t think you knew that!
7. Wizkid later signed to Banky W’s EME record label in 2009 which was the beginning of the rise of the star we all now know.
8. That song’s release reawakened everyone to a new sound and vibe. That earned him his first Headies awards as the ‘Next Rated’ and there followed suit with several other awards.
9. The album ‘Superstar’, which was released in 2011 under Empire Mates Entertainment, took Wizkid to the length and breadth of the world as everyone couldn’t get enough of the latest superstar in the room who wasn’t even 20 yet!
10. Another album had to drop as fans couldn’t get enough of Wizkid, so by 2014, he dropped the second album ‘Ayo,’ which had a host of music stars on its feature list. One song that stood out was ‘Jaiye Jaiye’ featuring the music icon, Femi Kuti.
11. In 2016, Wizkid became the first Nigerian singer to make it to Billboard’s Twitter Last 24 hours chart following his guest feature with Drake on the hit single, ‘One Dance.’
12. When it comes to endorsement deals, Wizkid has made a lot of money from a number of them. From Pepsi to MTN and even Glo, the music star has cashed out hugely from these telcos and multinationals.
13. Wizkid has not only collaborated with major music stars in the country but also outside of the world, including Drake and Chris Brown.
14. To his credit, Wizkid has three albums; Superstar (2011), Ayo (2014) and Sounds from the Other Side (2017).
15. He also has a compilation album with EME; Empire Mates State of Mind which was released in 2012.
16. Wizkid also has a very fascinating background, when it comes to his personal life. just in case you don’t know, He’s a father to three sons but a husband to none of their mothers.
17. In 2011, at the age of 21, Wizkid welcomed his first son, Boluwatife, with Shola Ogudugu, his then-girlfriend turned baby mama.
18. In 2016, with his second baby mama, Binta Diallo, Wizkid welcomed his second son Ayodeji, which sparked a lot of conversation if they were a serious couple.
19. Well just when we all thought Wizzy Baby was done with kids, the news broke of the arrival of his third son, Zion with his manager, Jade Pollock.
Okay, guys, not many saw this coming but these guys were romantically linked when we thought it was just a business relationship.
20. Success has been Wizkid’s second name since he joined the music industry and we’ve been there to monitor and break the news of every milestone he has undertaken.
21. Just so you know, there is a day set aside in Minnesota for Wizkid because the last time he performed there, he had a sold-out concert at the Skyway Theater.
22. Wizkid’s brand took another bold step in 2018 as his Nike jersey was created and it was sold out immediately it got to the market. Wizkid like a lot of very influential celebrities has his clothing line…only superstars do this!
23. How can we forget his hit single ‘Fever’ where Tiwa Savage was featured on the video. The song had so much buzz, that it trended for days on social media. It had over 1 million views in just a few hours after it’s release!
24. The success story of Wizkid took on a new dimension in 2018 when he hit the runway with a fashion icon and model, Naomi Campbell for Dolce and Gabbana, and the internet became frenzied.
25. In 2018, one of the hit singles from Wizkid, ‘Soco’ became for the year the most searched words on Google.
26. “One Dance” his previous collaboration with Drake became the most streamed song on Spotify globally with over 1.1 billion streams which became a Guinness World Record.
27. In 2019 Wizkid featured a collection of music inspired by the 2019 remake of the classic Disney movie ‘Lion King’ in Beyonce’s ‘Lion King’ album.
28. For its collaboration with Beyonce in ‘Brown Skin Girl’ Wizkid received the Ashford and Sampson Songwriters’ Award at the 2019 Soul Train Awards.
29. In 2017, he won the MOBO awards for “Best International Act”. His victory at the MOBOs saw him receive congratulatory messages from President Buhari, VP Osinbajo, and former VP Atiku Abubakar. In November 2017, he won 3 awards at the AFRIMA awards held in Lagos.
30. Wizkid is the fourth most-acclaimed Nigerian celebrity with about 10 on Instagram. 9 million Followers.
Happy Birthday STARBOY from all of us on Afriqpulsetv!!!